Skip to main content

This website is under construction. We are continuously adding more information in English. We apologize for the inconvenience this might cause and thank you for your patience.

Validation of child support


The child has the right to receive sufficient upkeep until they turn 18. The parents are responsible for the upkeep. In the case of a divorce or breakup, the parents may agree on child support by themselves, or visit a child welfare officer. A child welfare officer has to validate the agreements in writing for the agreement to be enforceable.

The officer will also give counseling on the legislation and agreement practices regarding child support.

If the parents can not reach an agreement, they will be referred to deal with the matter in court.

The wellbeing services county of South-West Finland will provide this service from 1.1.2023 onwards.


The contracting parties in matters regarding child support are the parents. The child welfare officer does not decide on the contents of the agreement. Instead, the parents will do the negotiation regarding the matter. The child welfare officer will also validate the mutual agreement reached by the parents.

The child support agreement validated by the child welfare officer is very important. This is because Kela can not pay maintenance support solely based on the parents' mutual agreement in a situation, where a parent neglects the payment of child support, or the child support is smaller than the valid maintenance support.

The agreement must be beneficial for the child's interests and reasonable considering the economic status of the paying parent. In estimation of the child support, the guideline provided by the Ministry of Justice can be used. An agreement validated by a child welfare officer is enforceable, i.e. distrainable.

The premise is that child support is paid on a monthly basis.

It must be paid on due date and it is, as a rule, to be paid on the account of the parent the child is living with.

User instruction

The parents may agree on child support by themselves. Should you want to agree on the matter at a child welfare officer's appointment, or validate a mutual child support agreement, please contact the social services of your town of residence. Alternatively, you may also make an appointment at the family law matters unit by phone or on chat.

The family law unit provides services for residents in Kaarina, Kemiönsaari, Koski TL, Kustavi, Laitilan, Lieto, Marttila, Masku, Mynämäki, Naantali, Nousiainen, Paimio, Parainen, Pyhäranta, Pöytyä, Raisio, Rusko, Salo, Sauvo, Taivassalo, Turku and Vehmaa.

Service channels